Passenger Service Desk:
- Billeting Web Site: Presidential Inn (approx 0.7 miles from Passenger Terminal - 15-20 minute walk depending on weather/luggage/fitness)
- Off-Base Lodging: See AMCGRAM under "Terminal Information/Amenities"
38° 48' 28.4976" N, 76° 53' 30.5952" W
- Short Term Parking is in the lot closest to the terminal and Long Term Parking is approximately 2 blocks beyond. Distance is easily walkable but luggage and other passengers can optionally be dropped off near the terminal prior to parking. There is no time limit, no fee and no permit required but registration, sticker[s] and plates must remain valid during entire period.
38° 48' 22.7052" N, 76° 52' 58.7352" W
- Online Flight Schedules: See Terminal Page
- AMCGRAM (as of Jan 2015)
- Terminal Hours: 0400-2200 or as missions require if outside those hours (as of Nov 15)
- Terminal Dining: Vending Machines in terminal. The base exchange has a food court food court (walkable) and there is also a Burger King - not much outside the gate.
- ATM: Yes
- Family Lounge: Yes
- USO: Yes - Web Site
- Base Dining Facility: No Retirees per policy change in June 2015 (not even if staying in Lodging or Fam Camp).
38° 48' 23.4792" N, 76° 52' 42.96" W
- Andrews AFB is located east of Washington DC. GPS Coordinates (Main Gate): 38.820568, -76.885715
- Distances: Terminal to new lodging (0.6 Miles); Terminal to Commissary/BX (1 Mile); Commissary/BX to lodging (1 Mile)
38° 49' 4.296" N, 76° 53' 22.92" W
38° 51' 9.414" N, 77° 2' 15.5508" W
Airport - Washington National
Billet Phone Number:
Add Extra Info:
- Mostly CONUS via small aircraft and some OCONUS and trans-CONUS via large cargo aircraft.
- On-Base Shuttle: No (ceased operations Summer 2013)
- Rental Car (In Terminal): Enterprise (301) 736-1701/1708, Key Drop Box after hours; Hours of Operation listed on the Andrews Enterprise Location Web Site
- Rental Car (Off Base):
- Taxi/Shuttle: See AMCGRAM for info.
- Local Bus: See the "How Do I...?" section
- Local Rail: See the "How Do I...?" section
- How do I get from Andrews AFB to Travis AFB using Space-A? (Current as of Feb 15)
- There normally are not many other trans-continental flights originating from Andrews but, as of Jun 06, Medevac missions on KC135s or C17s have been going 3 times a week (usually Mon, Wed & Sat with a 0800 Showtime with a departure about 2 hours later). Normally 10 seats are available for Space-a travelers but if more passengers are hoping to get on, the terminal staff will try to get more seats released--sometimes at the last minute. All waiting passengers are usually accommodated, but if possible it is a good idea to have a signup date that is at least a week old instead of being a walk-in on that day. Potential interim stops (where passengers can de-plane or others can board for the remainder of the flight) are Scott AFB IL, Peterson AFB and McChord AFB. Time on the ground at each stop is 1 to 2 hours so the flights usually arrive at Travis between 5 and 6 p.m. The air crew has a RON there and usually departs for Miramar MCAS CA the next morning with a showtime of 0800.
- The aircraft then returns to its home base which is usually Charleston AFB SC but sometimes McChord AFB WA. However, if the medical personnel on board are based at Andrews it will take them there first. There is free long-term parking (no time limit) within easy walking distance of the Andrews terminal.
- How do I travel between Andrews, DC, Virginia, Maryland, and BWI. Dulles or Reagan National Airports or the Greyhound Station? (Current as of: Dec 2010)
- To get off base, engage in conversation with your fellow passengers. It is quite possible that they would be happy to take you to your exact destination, the gate, or the Metro Station, if it happens to be on their way. Also, Andrews has a “Share-A-Ride” program and is a free service provided by the Andrews commuters. Look for the pickup points labeled with a brown and white “Share-A-Ride” sign. You have an option of getting a taxi off-base. Authorized taxi pick-up companies are Checker Cab, 301-864-7700, and Silver Cab, 301-577-2000. During heightened Force Protection Conditions, taxis are prohibited on base and at other times you’ll need to pre-announce taxi pick-ups to the 316 SFS law enforcement desk at 301-981-2001/2002.
- Finally, you always have the option of walking (in good weather) but it quite a walk to the main gate.
- There may be off-base bus schedules/ Metro maps at the PAX volunteer desk. Outside the gate, cross the street to the bus stop (GPS: 38.820601,-76.887657} in front of the Quality Inn (southeast from McDonalds). Ask the driver to ensure that you have the bus (Metro Bus Route K12) to either the Branch Ave Metro station (closest) or the Suitland Metro Rail Station. The fare is approx $1.35 (ask for a transfer ticket that you may be able to use for reduced fares later).
- At the Metro Stop, trains only go one way back toward DC (Green Line towards Greenbelt). Check the info on fares on the sign below the manned booth, and ask any questions if you need help. Purchase tickets from the machines only for the required amount (the very reasonable price differs for the time of day and the day of the week). You are at the southeast end of the Green Line, and you need to go to L’Enfant Plaza to change to the other lines.
- Notes: -- If you want to go to BWI, stay on the Green Line to the last stop, Greenbelt (at its other end in the northeast), get off, and take WMTA's B30 bus directly to BWI. The shelter for the BWI bus is the 4th shelter outside the Metro Station. The ride goes up the Baltimore Washington Parkway through an agricultural experimental farm – a very scenic ride. The bus stops twice at the terminal, and the second stop is for the AMC terminal (upstairs). Total time for us to travel from ADW to BWI is approx 3 hours. The USO is on the lower level to the right.
- --If you want to go to Dulles, take the Metrobus Route 5A from L’Enfant Plaza to Dulles. Another option exists from Metro’s Orange Line from West Falls Church station using the Washington Flyer Bus to Dulles. The Dulles USO (near the Starbucks on baggage claim level) can help with transportation.
- --If you want to go to Reagan National, then transfer to the Yellow Line at L’Enfant Plaza. The Yellow Line goes to Reagan National. The Reagan USO can help with transportation.
- --If you want to go to the Greyhound Station, then transfer to the Red Line at Gallery Place/Chinatown and head towards Glenmont. Get off at Union Station (2nd stop). The Greyhound station is next door to Union Station. -- Coming the other way, the above routes should work in reverse.
- How do I travel between Andrews AFB and Dover AFB using ground transportation? (Current as of: Feb 15)
- The “Best” way may be a one-way rental car. Check with the large rental car companies (hint – start with Hertz). If you are coming from Dover to Andrews then short-notice rentals on weekends (especially Sundays) may be difficult to arrange.
- If you want to go by commercial ground transportation then see the section above on how to get off-base and to the Metro Station.
- At the Metro Stop, trains only go one way, back toward DC. Grab a Metro map and keep it to study. Check the info on fares on the sign below the manned booth, and ask any questions if you need help. Purchase ticket from the machines only for the required amount (the very reasonable price differs for destination, time of day and day of the week).
- You are at the southeast end of the Green Line. Go to the Gallery Place/Chinatown station where you change to the Red Line for Union Station.
- At Union station buy a ticket (~$60) on Amtrak to Wilmington, Delaware. Get off the train at the Wilmington Amtrak Station.
- Take Dover Transit (DART) Route 301 Express (stop is just outside the Amtrak station) to Dover (exact change, coins and $1.00 bills and no service on weekends).
- DART Route 106 (exact change, coins and $1.00 bills) will get you on base (again, no service on weekends).
- Andrews AFB Map
- Andrews AFB Map-- Same map but some different annotations
- Andrews AFB's Main Website
Please help keep this information current for your fellow travelers and send any updates or corrections to email@example.com
Terminal Web Page:
IATA (With URL):